Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Come on LA

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I've mentioned this guy before, love him, can't say it enough.

Check out what he is trying to accomplish..
Here

If you have the time it really is such a great endeavor. Below are a few highlights from the episode

Schools
  • 80% obesity rate in some LA elementary schools
  • Jamie to the parents, "You want them to have better than you, yeh?"
  • Demonstration where the leftover trimmings from the meat were placed in a centrifuge and spun till the leftovers split from the bone, then water+ammonia were added, meat was minced, and ready to be served to humans (don't have to label ammonia as an ingredient because it is a "process")
  • "Pink slime is allowed in any school, in America, by the USDA
 Fast food
  •  Deno, the owner of an LA fast food restaurant admits he would never serve the food he serves in his restaurant to his kids
  • "But that's why America is screwed" classic American milkshake
Legislation
  • "I come from a country where kids drink milk, and they don't have to consume the equivalent of a candy bar when they do so" 
  • "We're doing a great show about how people don't give a *" 
Filled a bus and more with the sugar added in one week to the LA school districts meals

Sign the petition supporting this food revolution for better health prospects for children in America
(only 5,745 supporters in Utah)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this show is so amazing and eye opening! My foods teacher was showing his stuff to us in class and I was in shock with the numbers he was throwing out...it's pathetic! Have those kids stop munching on sugar, get good food in them, and lets stop having fat people! Love you Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just reading something about this! Totally going to put it on my to watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what this guy is trying to do! I can't believe how bad school food is. It is disgusting! I'm already planning on making my kids eat packed lunch.. haha but hopefully by then, something changes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's stop having fat people hahahaha Jen. You really should Jord! I totally agree Hailey, plus I feel like I'd want to pack my kids' lunch anyway. Just sounds better.

    ReplyDelete